20 Sep Hold That Thought… THANK YOU, Madame Clerk!
The night belonged to Audrey Bruner, for sure. Our Session gathered at its regular stated meeting to do its important business, but the clear focus on this night was a special celebration. It was fun having a party in her honor. Audrey has been our Clerk of Session for the last ten years. During that time she has done all the things a clerk must do– set agendas, record minutes, post announcements, send reminders, receive new members, complete statistical reports, assign responsibilities, and countless other items. We began the night by praying for Audrey. We ended the night by having Audrey pray for us. All prayers were filled with gratitude!
What you should know about Audrey is that she loved serving her church in this capacity. She considered it a privilege to spend much time and effort keeping the Session well organized and well informed. For her, this voluntary job was a means to enhance the ministry of our church. She found great joy in making sure that everything was done joyfully and well. Indeed, if you know Audrey, you are not surprised that her work was always perfectly in order. I do not remember a single time that we ever corrected her minutes. Each year when the Presbytery reviewed our Session Book, it was approved without exception. In short, Audrey’s work as Clerk was truly exceptional.
Our new Clerk, Alice Davenport, will now assume responsibilities. Alice is most capable and willing to continue the fine work that Audrey has done. The good news, for Alice and for us, is that Audrey is available to share the secrets she has learned along the way. We are grateful for this smooth transition. If you see Alice around the church, wish her well. The next time you run into Audrey (she is virtually everywhere), thank her for a job well done!
When we finally got around to doing our business, the Session did the following:
- Thanked Don Stevens for his leadership in one of the best Rally Days ever.
- Approved curriculum and classes for children, youth, and adults.
- Invited prayers for Impact Ministries as they seek to purchase the Kings Campus.
- Stated the process by which we are reviewing our Endowment Guidelines.
- Started our Financial Stewardship Season by asking for generous pledge commitments from our Elders.
- Reported that our Presbytery is completing a Long Range Planning Process.
- Announced a new Bible Study Fellowship for young men in our church.
- Emphasized several important up-coming dates—Love Boat Leadership Dinner (October 17), Lunch on the Lawn (October 22), and Heritage Sunday (November 5).
And much, much, more…